Resources for Classroom Voting in Mathematics
Question Libraries and Useful Web Pages
- Calculus: The Cornell GoodQuestions Project, has developed and tested a library of questions for classroom voting in Calculus.
- Linear Algebra: Maria Terrell's webpage has more resources, including a set of voting questions for linear algebra.
- Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Series, Sequences, Difference Equations, Multivariable Calculus, Calculus, Precalculus: Our Project MathQuest page has links to the libraries of questions that we use here at Carroll College in all of these courses.
- Statistics: Roxy Peck's collection of classroom voting questions for statistics is part of the sets of questions that accompany the texts: Statistics: The Exploration and Analysis of Data, Roxy Peck and Jay Devore, 6th edition, Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning 2008; Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis, Roxy Peck, Chris Olsen and Jay Devore, 3rd Edition, Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning 2008.
- Statistics: Bruce Atwood has some good materials and a library of questions for using classroom voting in statistics.
- Statistics: The Website for Clickers in Statistics Courses from Teri Murphy and her colleagues at the University of Oklahoma has over eighty clicker questions.
- Statistics: In addition to this library of classroom voting questions for statistics, Derek Bruff at Vanderbilt has written this useful guide to using classroom voting, and authored the book Teaching with Classroom Response Systems.
- College Algebra: This library of 36 questions was developed
by Lee Gibson at the University of Louisville.
- College Algebra: This library of 20 questions in PowerPoint format was developed by Mark Schlatter at Centenary College.
- Calculus and Multivariable Calculus: Adam Lucas describes his use of clickers at Saint Mary's College of Califoria, including his conceptests.
- Multivariable Calculus: Mark Schlatter has written and tested a library of voting questions for multivariable calculus -- described here and his library of multivariable ConcepTests is here
- Liberal Arts Mathematics: Ray McGivney and Jean McGivney-Burelle, at Hartford University, have developed this library of questions, on the topics of voting, simulation, recursion, and graphs.
- Bridge to Higher Mathematics & Group Theory: Patti Frazer Lock has developed libraries of questions for her Bridge to Higher Mathematics course, and her Group Theory course. These are in PowerPoint, and set up for InterWrite PRS clickers.
- David O. Lomen has a page of resources for classroom voting in mathematics.
Publications on Classroom Voting in Mathematics
- Latulippe J. Clickers, iPad, and lecture capture in one semester: My teaching transformation. Primus. 2016 Jul 2;26(6):603-17.
- Batchelor, J. Effects of Clicker Use on Calculus Student's Mathematics Anxiety. PRIMUS, 25(5), 453-472, 2015.
- Lockard, S. R., & Metcalf, R. C. Clickers and classroom voting in a transition to advanced mathematics course. PRIMUS, 25(4), 326-338, 2015.
- Cline, Kelly; Zullo, Holly; Duncan, Jonathan; Stewart, Ann; Snipes, Marie. "Creating Discussion with Classroom Voting in Linear Algebra." International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, Volume 44, Number 8, pp. 1131-1142, 2013.
- Stewart, Ann; Storm, Chris; VonEpps, Lahna. "Analyzing Student Confidence in Classroom Voting with Multiple Choice Questions." PRIMUS, Volume 23, Number 8, pp. 718-732, 2013.
- Zullo, Holly, McGivney-Burelle, Jean; Cline, Kelly; Stewart, Ann; Storm, Chris; Huckaby, David; Melvin, Tim. "Characteristics of Questions That Promote Rich Mathematical Discussions." MathAMATYC Educator, Volume 4, Number 3, pp. 9-15, May 2013.
- Cline, Kelly; McGivney-Burelle, Jean; Zullo, Holly. "A Question Library for Classroom Voting." Mathematics Teacher, Volume 106, Number 3, pp. 212-218, October 2012.
- Cline, Kelly; Parker, Mark, Zullo, Holly; Stewart, Ann. Addressing Common Student Errors with Classroom Voting in Multivariable Calculus PRIMUS Volume 23, Issue 1, pp 60-75, 2012.
- Cline, Kelly; Zullo, Holly; VonEpps, Lahna. Classroom Voting Patterns in Differential Calculus: PRIMUS Volume 22, Issue 1, pp. 43-59, 2012.
- Roth, Kim. Assessing Clicker Examples Versus Board Examples in Calculus; PRIMUS Volume 22, issue 5, pp. 353-364, 2012.
- Teaching Mathematics with Classroom Voting: With and Without Clickers Kelly Cline and Holly Zullo eds. Mathematical Associate of America 2011.
- Cline, Kelly; Lomen, David
Classroom Voting: Active Learning in Differential Equations CODEE Journal, January 2010.
- Bressoud, David M. Should Students Be Allowed to Vote? MAA Launchings, March 2009.
- Bode, M., D. Drane, Y. B.-D. Kolikant, and M. Schuller. A Clicker Approach to Teaching Calculus. Notices of the AMS. 56:253-256. February 2009.
- Lucas, Adam. Using Peer Instruction and iclickers to Enhance Student Participation in Calculus: PRIMUS Volume 19, Number 3, pp219-231, 2009.
- Cline, Kelly; Zullo, Holly; Parker, Mark.
Using Classroom Voting in Mathematics Courses:
In Proc. 19th Annual International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics. New York: Addison Wesley, p35-39, 2007.
- Cline, Kelly; Zullo, Holly; Parker, Mark.
Teaching with Classroom Voting:
FOCUS Volume 27, Number 5, p22-23, May/June 2007.
Cline, Kelly S. "Classroom Voting in Mathematics." Mathematics Teacher Volume 100, Number 2, p100-104, September 2006.
- Miller, Robyn L., Santana-Vega, Everilis, Terrell, Maria S.. "Can Good Questions and Peer Discussion Improve Calculus Instruction?" PRIMUS Volume 16, Number 3, September 2006.
- Blodgett, Dina L.
The Effects of Implementing an Interactive Student Response System in a College Algebra Classroom MS Thesis, The University of Maine, Orono, ME, May 2006.
- Hughes-Hallett, D., Robinson, M., Lomen, D. ConcepTests: Active Learning in Calculus, Mathematics Education into the 21st Century Project, Universiti Teknologi Malasia, 2005.
- Butler, Melanie. "What I Learned from... Using a Personal Response System." FOCUS vol. 25 #3 (March 2005): 15.
- Lomen, David O., Robinson, Maria K. "Using ConcepTests in Single and Multivariable Calculus." In Proc. 16th Annual International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics. New York: Addison Wesley, 2004.
- Terrell, Maria Asking good questions in the mathematics classroom Mathematicians and Education Reform Forum Newsletter Volume 15 no. 2, 2003.
- Pilzer, Scott, M. Robinson, D. Lomen, D. Flath, D. Hughes Hallet, B. Lahme,
J. Morris, W. McCallum, and J. Trash. ConcepTests - to accompany Calculus
3rd Edition, (Hughes Hallet et al.) New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2003.
d'Inverno, R., Davis, H., & White, S. Using a personal response system for promoting student interaction. Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications, 22(4), pp163-169, 2003.
- Schlatter, Mark. "Writing ConcepTests for a Multivariable Calculus Course." PRIMUS Volume 12 #4 (December 2002) pp. 305-314.
- Pilzer, Scott. "Peer Instruction in Physics and Mathematics." PRIMUS 11 (June 2001): 185-192.
Voting Hardware: Personal Response Systems